Attention: The issuance of a new passports is currently NOT possible, an announcement will be made as soon as the Embassy resumes issuing new passports.
Holders of previous machine-readable passports can apply for their passport’s extension.
Effective 24th of June 2016, the Afghan machine-readable passport applicant must provide his/her national ID (Tazkera). Please note that machine-readable passports cannot be issued if the applicant does not posses his/her Tazkera.
Application Guidelines for Machine Readable Passports
Please note that by beginning the process of issuing the new machine readable passports, validity duration for the hand-written passports will not be extended. Therefore, those applicants who would like to extend their hand-written passports are advised to apply for the new machine-readable passport.
The consular section of the Embassy of Afghanistan in Oslo, Norway only processes applications made by applicants residing in Norway, Denmark and Iceland.
Passport Application Form:
Please read these instructions carefully and prepare all supporting documents required for passport application accordingly. This will prevent delays in processing the application. Applications with incomplete documents will not be processed. Please note that the machine-readable passports are printed outside Norway and therefore the Embassy of Afghanistan in Norway will not, in any situation, be able to postpone the passport application process. Applicants with incomplete documents are advised to complete all the required documents and then book an appointment.
- Please fill in the application form clearly using black ink.
- The form must be filled in English as well as one of the two official languages in Afghanistan (Pashto or Dari)
- Applicant’s signature will be copied to the passport from the application form, therefore please sign carefully within the box.
- Applicant’s height must be accurately mentioned in centimeters, this will be printed in the passport.
- Passport photos must be within the required measurements (4×4.5cm). The background of the photo needs to be white. Please don’t take photo by photo automatic machines. Please tell to your photographer that it is a special size.
- If the passport is lost or missing, a police report is required to be submitted to the embassy in order to invalidate the lost or stolen passport.
- Name changes require specific legal processes and carried out in accordance to the current law in Afghanistan. Applicants with the changes to their surname after their marriage must have a valid and certified marriage certificate (Nikahnama). Applicants with name changes for other purposes must have official supporting documents from Afghanistan. Applications will not be processed if the applicant fails to provide these documents.
- Provision of incorrect information by the applicant and its subsequent printing on the passport will result in the applicant being responsible for all the expenses. This could only be rectified by issuing a new machine-readable passport and the expenses remains the responsibility of the applicant/s.
- In order to avoid further delays and frustration each applicant is required to bring along the original and one copy of the following documents (obtained in Afghanistan and/or the host country) to their appointment with the consulate office: (Refugee Status and/or settlement documents, National ID card (Tazkera), educational/ academic certificates, marriage certificate, old/previous passports and any other document that the applicant may think is relevant. Presenting adequate supporting documents will streamline the identification process.
- For children born in the host country, birth certificate and family registration documents must be provided.
- Passports are considered the main means of travel, therefore providing the status/settlement documents are mandatory.
Receiving the Passport:
- Applicants are responsible for postage cost for delivering the passport using registered/recommended mail services.
- Please note that consulate office in the embassy is only responsible for submitting the supporting documents to the passport issuing authority. Provision of accurate documents as well as correct address, correct spelling of names, accurate date of birth (both in solar and Gregorian calendars) and other details on the form alongside its correspondence to the documents remain the sole responsibility of the applicant. Providing incorrect and/or incomplete documents and information will result in delays in issuing passport.
- Once the required documents are submitted to the embassy, you will receive the machine-readable passport by post. There is no exact indication of the duration in which the new passport will be received. However the embassy, after receiving all the required documents without any delay, will be able to provide the applicant with an estimated time limit in which they will receive their passport. Please do not contact the embassy before that time limit is passed.
- The process of issuing the new machine-readable passport will take at least eight weeks. You must consider this before making any travel plans in order to avoid further complications. It is worthwhile to make your travel arrangements after you receive your passport.
Costs and Validity of the Passport:
- Machine readable passports are valid for 5 years.
- The fee of passport and other consular fee must be paid by bank card. The consular section DOESN’T accept any cash payment.
- The payment is not refundable even when the application is rejected during the process.
- An appointment must be booked before the applicant attends the consular section of the embassy for passport application purposes. In order to book an appointment please refer to the bottom of this page.
- Please do not contact the consular section directly for booking an appointment.
- Each applicant must book a separate appointment, even members of the same family if they wish to attend the embassy on the same date.
- Machine readable passports are issued individually to each applicant, including infants. Therefore, all applicants including infants and children must appear personally when submitting their documents. Application will not be received by the consular officer if the applicant is not present.
- Once the required documents are submitted to the embassy, you will receive the machine-readable passport by post. There is no exact indication of the duration in which the new passport will be received. However the embassy, after receiving all the required documents without any delay, will be able to provide the applicant with an estimated time frame in which they will receive their passport. Please do not contact the embassy before that time limit is passed.
- The process of issuing the new machine-readable passport will take at least six weeks. You must consider this before making any travel plans in order to avoid further complications. It is worthwhile to make your travel arrangements after you receive your passport.
For booking an appointment, please refer to end of this page.
For further information, please contact the Consular Section during the opening hours (Monday to Friday from 9 am to 1 pm).
Telephone: (+47) 22 12 35 70
Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Gange-Rolvs gate 5
Passport Section E-mail (Just to send the supplementary document):
Please write the first name, surname, date of birth, case number or the date of appointment in the e-mail. Should this information be missing the passport section will not be able to respond. Please write the e-mail with one of Afghan official languages (Dari and Pashto) or English.
Please send the attachment document in PDF format. We don’t accept any other picture format.
Read the following instructions carefully before booking your appointment!
- Select a date and a specific time.
- When you selected the date and the time, the system will automatically open the application form page.
- Fill the application form carefully. Enter the details of the person who would like to apply for the passport. (If you want to book appointments for your family members, make sure to book a separate appointment for each applicant)
- Once you completed the application form, please make sure to check your details carefully and then click on “Book Now” button.
- Your request will be reviewed by the consular section of the Embassy. As soon as it has been confirmed, you will receive a confirmation to the email address you have provided at stage 3.
- You can find the appointment date and time in your confirmation letter.
- If you want to book a new appointment for a family member. Please click on the link (Please click here) at the end of your booking session. For instance, if you booked the first appointment at 10:15, Please DON’T SELECT the same time for the next appointment.
Note: If you book several appointments with the same details. The system will automatically refuse it.